There is something that has been on my heart for a while to talk about: falling in love with Jesus. I’ve noticed that many people I talk to about their relationships with Christ are missing that one key factor.
Often times, we approach getting to know Jesus kind of backwards. We think we have to straighten ourselves out before we can come to Him, and we think we have to make Him love us. We make spending time with Him a task or responsibilty instead of coming to Him out of pure desire. We choose not to sin, because our goal is to go to heaven, and not because we just want to show Jesus how much we love Him and want the life He chose for us. We are after His blessings and not His heart. If this is you, then I’m here to tell you that you are tiring yourself out trying to chase after the wrong thing. You can live in the freedom that Christ died for us for, but if you’re chasing rules and blessings versus Christ Himself, you’re going to continue to find yourself in bondage rather than freedom. There’s so much He wants to give you.
You may be asking, how do you fall in love with Jesus? Guess what? I asked the same question. I knew I wanted it, but I didn’t really know how to go about…getting it (for lack of a better word.) I’d love to share the journey I took to fall in love with Jesus in hopes that it will help you with your journey.
I broke my journey up into steps that may help you. Not everyone’s relationship with Christ is going to be the same. You’re going to find out what works well for you and what doesn’t work well as you go through this process. Through it all, remember that He LOVES you! And we love Him, because He first loved us. (1 John 4:19)
1. First, stop being so hard on yourself. It may not happen overnight, and its okay. Take a deep breath and relax. There is no condemnation in Christ. God is just rejoicing that you are reaching out to Him. Remember that His arms have been outstretched toward you this entire time and He loves you!
2. Ask Jesus to show Him how much He loves you, and then prepare for your day to turn upside down as He showers you with love. (We love Him because He first loved us — verse here)
3. Spend time soaking in His presence. What does that mean? Just lay there with some worship music on and ask His presence to fill up the space you’re in. Then, watch Him work.
4. Dive into His word. I kind of cheat with this and use a Bible app that gives me a daily verse because I don’t always know where to begin. So, I see what that verse is, and then I read the entire chapter.
5. Journal. Keep track of How God is making you feel. That’s so important.
6. Go on dates with Him. Take coffee dates with Him and long walks with Him and just talk to Him. He’s always there with you. (And no, you won’t look weird. I promise!)
7. Ask God to open your heart up and put it on fire for Him. He will do it, and you will change. It’s crazy!
Pretty soon, you’re going to be so passionately in love with Him, that a day not spent with Him is going to feel weird. That’s a great sign! You’re going to reach a point where you naturally live a sin free life because you love Him so much. And this love you feel will make you feel so free. It will bring you the free and abundant life that Christ died for us to have, and it will feel so good.